Friday, September 12, 2014

I just read where the army says there are not enough blacks in combat leadership

roles.

That's a complete and total crock.

A woman I correspond with has this to say: If there is one sector in American society that absolutely should be a meritocracy, it's in the leadership of combat troops. When you're accepting checks from people written as "Payable to America on demand for any amount up to and including my life and limb", there is a moral imperitive to expend those "funds" as effectively as is humanly possible. 

.We're not talking about a check that can be paid off with worthless currency distributed by the Fed. We're talking about lives here.

Our troops deserve the best, period.

There is no excuse spending these lives just to satisfy some idiot that wants to perform a social experiment.

The fact that you would put people in leadership positions that are not the best people for the jobs shows that one is willing to accept second best. Personally I'm not willing to accept anything but the best.

There's a reason that the officer corps doesn't get a whole lot of minorities and it's simple. They get recruited by the private sector upon graduation for a lot more than the services offer so the private sector can play the game.

I don't think that the services should do anything but put the best and brightest they have in leadership roles no matter what race or color they are. 

Back in my day I was glad to have good officers, most of who were white. Truth is, I was than and still am colorblind. I didn't care what color my leadership was. I wouldn't care now.

There were a handful of incompetent officers back then, too. Most of whom were white. I do, however remember two black officers. One was reasonably competent the other was on the minority bandwagon. He sucked.

The real problems we had back then during the Vietnam wind down were in the NCO corps. The war was unpopular and a lot of people fund ways to get out of military service. A lot of people that shouldn't have been were promoted to ranks beyond their abilities.

I remember three staff sergeants that fit this bill, two blacks and a white. They were basically Alabama sharecropper types, uneducated and unmotivated. They were just awaiting retirement.

I wouldn't follow them in combat. I don't know many others that would have, either. I had a platoon sergeant that was an alcoholic for a while and so was one of the First Sergeants I served under. Thank God both of these two retired shortly after I arrived. Incidentally, both of these people were white.

Incidentally the best First Sergeant I served under was a black man. What he lacked in formal education he more than made up for with an immense amount of native wisdom.

A lot of these promotions were the result of the racial policies of the time. It was a bad time to be in the service.

In fact the situation was so bad that I would up being promoted to E-5 in under 2 years. Normally it should have taken at least 5 years but I guess they were desperate for NCOs.

The truth is that the services should be based on merit and merit only and they ought to junk any social experiments. There's too much at stake here.

Back in the day we craved good leadership and as far as I was concerned race, color etc had nothing to do with it. I would have been pleased to serve under a competent officer or NCO no matter what color. Most of us felt the same way.

Putting minorities in leadership positions just to appease liberal do-gooders is nothing more than a recipe for disaster.

Dear Mrs. Smith. 

Sorry about Jimmy. He was a great guy. I hope you can find solace knowing that he died because we put an incompetent lieutenant in charge of his platoon to appease the race baiters. You don't have to feel like the Lone Ranger, though because Lieutenant Smith managed to get 12 other guys killed in the same fight.

Captain Jones

They ought to throw the entire RR/EO package out the window and promote on merit and merit alone.








To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment