Monday, September 15, 2014

Looks like it's time to dust

And that is likely how I will spend my day or at least part of it.

In the book 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court; Mark Twain describes how people want big wages and had no sense of buying power. Seems that things never change. Twain was right.

People want big wages.

Right now the natives are restless and want a raise in the minimum wage. I have said time and again that it will only lead to more inflation and stand to rob the responsible of their savings, yet people don't understand. They simply want big wages.

A while back I ran something past another guy and got the predictable answer. I asked him how it would be if we changed the value of money by basing it on gold. He went nuts.

"You want to work for ten bucks a day?" He asked.

"If the ten bucks was worth something, I wouldn't mind it," I replied.

"You're a nut," he said.

"So shortly after you get this raise you keep prattling on about what are you going to say when you go to the pump and have to pay six bucks a gallon?" I answered. "Howzabout if you made twenty or thirty bucks a day and paid nineteen cents a gallon?"

He looked at me like I was mad.

He wants big wages.

The truth is that raising the minimum wage is only going to drive prices up, rob the poor of their savings, make the people on fixed incomes have to tighten up even more and discourage people to save their money. 

But that's OK because people want big wages. Even if they're not able to buy what they used to. They'll feel good because they are making big wages.

As for me I wouldn't mind working for twenty bucks a day if we returned to the nickel beer and the free lunch. I'd be a lot better off.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

1 comment:

  1. Pic, this is bs. The poor are being robbed by the economic system. They are only being paid a fraction of the value that their work generates.

    Here's a quote from a recent report: "Of all the dollars
    earned in 2012, more than 22 percent went to the top 1 percent. That share has more than doubled since 1979."

    You may be right in just that a simple adjustment to the minimum wage won't fix things, but it's not true that it's poor folks laziness that are keeping them poor.

    ReplyDelete