Friday, September 19, 2014

Keystone Accuracy






Just did a job for me and I think it was a good job done at a reasonable price and unless the thing totally craters the first time I use it I will cheerfully go there again.


My service rifle rear sight was flopping around and something had to be done about it. It was not a custom rifle to begin with and the years had weakened the rear sight springs. There are a couple springs in the sight that put it back into place after the recoil of each shot. I suppose for basic GI use it’s a passable system but for long term match work it is less than desirable. The fix is to ‘pin’ the rear sight. You eliminate the springs and allow the rear sight base to slide up and down a pair of pins and you wind up with a rock hard rear sight with no movement or slop. It stays where you put it. No springs have to push it back onto position because it doesn’t move in the first place.


When I dropped the rifle upper off I looked around and saw a professional neat, clean, well-organized work area with what appeared to be rather new and well maintained machines that looked adequate for a custom rifle maker. It was also obvious that the owner was no stranger to other tools such as a broom and a mop because the place looked clean and airy.


I glanced around at the project he was working on and saw what looked like a first class job being done on a custom build.


A brief chat with him makes me believe he is one of those rare people that are mentally incapable of doing a poor job of anything they do. He knows that everything going out his door has his name on it and seems picky about letting anything leave that isn’t 100%.


His turn-around time was excellent, too. I delivered my upper late Tuesday afternoon and about 11:00 Thursday morning got a call to pick it up. I looked at it and it appears to be a clean job and the rear sight went up and down perfectly.


He does take Visa which is handy as I seldom travel with cash. Add 3% for this which is fair enough. It’s what they bite him for and the 3% add-on is well worth the convenience.


In my opinion this guy is good to go and I will more than likely do business with him again.
As regular readers know I seldom say anything about businesses on this blog but I’m putting this one here because some of you guys are shooters and good service rifle gunsmiths are hard to come by. Consider this a public service announcement




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment