Wednesday, March 25, 2015

One of the things I am pretty grateful for is that I can post here daily.



Our Constitution says I can and that's good enough for me. I live in a country that was founded by outright geniuses but is presently run by idiots but that's another story.

There is no rhyme nor reason as to what I post here. I can't say this is specifically a political blog because it isn't. Nor is it a shooter's nor a ham radio blog even though a lot of posts are shooter or ham related.

It is nothing more or less than what it is advertised as. It is the the grumblings of a wayward sailor.

This blog is about anything I see and decide I want to comment on. It can be anything. I kind of like it that way.

One thing that is a constant, though is that I side with the guy packing a lunch pail even though sometimes it doesn't look like it.

Anyway, I suppose that it is a good thing that the Constitution allows me to do this, not that it really matters. I am the kind of outlaw that would find some kind of way to speak my mind for as long as I could even though I'd likely wind up in some concentration camp.

Speaking of speaking one's mind, has anyone ever noticed that the powers that be hate the First Amendment? They don't like being in the firing line. 

I would imagine the last president that truly embraced the First Amendment was Harry Truman. Truman was generally smart enough to embrace any vilification he got as president. The rest of them most likely don't like being taken to task.

Truman was taken to task by the American people when he fired Douglas MacArthur. The American people didn't like this very much at the time.

Truman simply said that history would eventually support his decision and he was right.

(Sea story digression time) My dad was in the church hall one time for some thing or another and as usual was sitting by Deegan. Deegan was kind of a character  who went by his last name. Even his wife called him 'Deegan'. A rite of passage for me was when I didn't have to call him 'Mister Deegan' anymore. One day he told me to stop calling him 'Mister' anymore unless we were around the womenfolk.

Deegan had served in Korea and was mentioning what a raw deal Mac got. My dad pointed out that Mac had brought it on himself by disobeying Truman and said that Deegan would be looking for another job if he didn't obey his boss. After all, Harry Truman was Commander in Chief.

Deegan thought about that a minute and said, "You know, you're right."

Point is, it took time but the truth came to light.

Still, the press vilified Truman for firing Mac. Truman didn't care. He was likely the last president that truly understood and respected the Bill of Rights.

As this wayward sailor grumbles he has to say that he hopes that the younger people will respect and love the Bill of Rights and not be afraid to do whatever it takes to defend it from the powers that would take these rights from them.

Maybe after I am dead and gone some wayward sailor will take over where I left off. 

I just hope he is able to.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment