Sunday, March 8, 2015

Well, it's Sunday. The day clocks get set back

Which is a colossal pain in the ass for my atomic clock....wait, no it isn't. I just stopped and reset it and got lucky.

When you only do something twice a year it is easy to forget how to do it. I must have remembered because it only took a few seconds. Cool!

I keep that clock set on UTC but it is a Mickey Mouse arrangement and the clock is designed to reset itself to daylight savings time. There is no DST on UTC. It's an absolute.

A score and a half of years ago I was learning the basics of celestial navigation and was mentioning the theory to an interested co-worker. Another guy overheard it and shouted "Who cares what time it is in Greenwich, England?"

I looked at him and shrugged.

"Well?" he demanded.

I looked at him and told him that he had just told me he knew nothing about navigation, worldwide communications, international business and life outside of Kodiak in general. I also told him he was on his own to find out.

He was one of those pigheaded guys that I knew I couldn't teach anything. When someone doesn't want to learn something I don't bother to teach them anything. Why bother?

Anyway, the clocks are now squared away and it was painless.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

In the background there is a big spiel on the tube about the goings-on in Selma, Alabama fifty years ago. I remember it well. It was an ugly piece of American history.

This was fought over a basic American right and it was a battle that the feds the responsibility of getting involved in as it is their job to protect the basic rights of all Americans.

Of course, this eventually went too far as I see it.

Equality should (and for all practical purposes now is) the law of the land. In government hiring, accommodations, etc it should be without regard to race, creed, color, sex or natural origin.

In private enterprise it should be the decision of the company owner.

Of course, a lot of people reading this are agape and want to call me a racist or whatever. They want to know how integration would be achieved without having the feds step in.

It's really quite simple. Look in your ass pocket. What's in it? Probably a wallet that contains a negotiable instrument or two. Mine has a Visa and about two bucks. Whatever.

What does a group of people that need goods and services constitute? Simple, a market.

The last time I checked I saw that money is green and stays that way no matter of what color the money holder is. I have also noticed that it spends the same way regardless of who has it.

The very buck that people curse as the root of evil is the very thing that likely would have started a real integration movement. It would have been an honest integration as opposed to the kind of forced integration because the law says so.

While we're on the subject, there's always the issue of becoming one of the boys in the back room. We're talking about the back room with the oak paneling and where brandy and cigars are served.

As far as minorities go there are a number of them that are there. A handful of them likely cried their way in and they are tolerated because they have to be.

There are also a number of them that were invited there because of their character and skills. These are the guys that are welcomed and truly respected. That is true integration. You can't force something like that.

Same holds true in the working class. Guys that do their job well are respected no matter what their race.

  





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment