Friday, January 24, 2020

A comment from a gay black woman that attended the VA rally


I hate to steal things but this one said an awful lot about the rally.

I was handed this off of another board and it rang true. Totally true. 

I wish I could find the woman to verify the veracity of this, I do know it isn't copyrighted, though.  However, I seriously doubt the woman that wrote this would care if I use it. While I do not know personally who wrote it I believe it's 100% true.



"The rally was absolutely not about white supremacy, but it was a battle cry for the supremacy of our constitutional rights. They are, after all, supreme. The backbone of this country is built from it and that is why we are the strongest country in this world. There is no other country on the face of this earth with a history as bloody and beautiful as the American history when it comes to our constitutional rights and the strength those right give us as people. Why it pretty much says that we are ALLOWED to remain armed so we can overthrow a corrupt government in order to stay the right course. And it's our history and the lessons learned from it that gave me the strength to go to this rally even though I had three strikes against me according to the mainstream news: I am black, I am a woman, I am gay.

"While I could not cover my black face since that was against the rules and I didn't much feel like advertising my sexual orientation, I still wore my LGBTQ pin right next to a round, orange sticker that proclaimed that Guns Save Lives and my pink toboggan. Many white men, yes ... you read that right ... so many wonderful white men shook my hand, told me wonderful tales about their daughters or sons or brothers or sisters who are also LGBTQ and I got so many white fists raised for bumps and not in anger in any way that I had to keep putting lotion on my ashy knuckles. I was warmly embraced, quite literally, as a friend by people I am constantly told hate me just because they have less pigment in their skin, are straight, and have a penis. That was not my experience. That was not the experience of any black person I saw or spoke with. And yes, there were too many there to count.

"If you needed further proof that the people in attendance were not there to proclaim that their whiteness was the reason they should have the right to keep and bear arms then let me tell you this. I was wearing my bug out bag because if I'm honest, maybe a part of me did think shit could go south and I wanted to be prepared. I had my water bottle attached and at some point, it fell off. You have to understand me when I tell you that we were shoulder to shoulder in some areas and forward momentum was like crawling through mud in spots.

"Anyway, my bottle fell off. I heard someone shouting, "Lady! Hey, lady!! Pink hat lady! Yo! Pink hat lady!" I was prepared for many things when I turned and saw that the person shouting for me was in possession of a flag that had stars and bars. The jaded part of me was braced for many things because of my experiences with racism. But this young man smiled brilliantly at me, held up my bottle so I could see it, fought through the crowd to get to me and handed it over with a polite, "That got knocked off, ma'am. You might get thirsty later. You having a good time? Where you from?"

"Then we talked about my bag and he pulled his bag around to show me that his was identical to mine and showed me a better way to attach my bottle. He even attached it for me and then stood there and walked me through some weird knot a couple of times so he was sure I got it down correctly and it wouldn't be knocked off again. He taught me that knot repeatedly and told me he sails a lot and was in the Navy. He initiated a hug, held my hand in his for a moment before he left, and told me how wonderful it was to have met me. He thanked me for being there.

"See, for you and if I'm honest, myself as well ... it affects me to see those stars and bars. Why? I actually thought about that after I met and spoke with that young man. It affects me because I've been told repeatedly it should affect me. I've been told repeatedly it was a sign of racism. That's how I viewed it until now. Just like people look at me and see a black face, a lesbian, a woman and make up their mind about me ... that's how I viewed people with that flag. I judged. But let me say this. Just because I viewed it that way doesn't mean the person carrying it views it that way. To them, it might mean something else entirely. To them, it might be a symbol of something I don't even know about and I can feel offended about it or I can look at the bigger picture and see that at the end of the day what matters is humanity and being good to each other.

"I can tell you that I, black as mud, nowhere near straight, very much a female, felt absolutely safe and welcomed and at home with literally thousands of white men who were walking around with loaded guns. If any single one of them had felt some kind of way about me well, I was outnumbered and they could have said/done anything. They didn't. They were friendly, helpful, funny, determined, and strong. I felt like I counted amongst them and my takeaway was that they were glad to have me there. I laughed. I joked. I hugged. I felt. I fist bumped. I lifted my voice up to say the Pledge of Allegiance and to shout USA USA USA because that matters. I mattered. In a sea of white, what stood out the most was how they all let me blend right in and they did it with open arms.

"So you can take that hate and your black against white racism right off my page. You think you are allowed to be racist just because you're black? Let me tell you something. The only racist anywhere is you and that's a damn shame. You set us back with the way you think and the racist things you say when what you should be doing is recognizing that you would not be where you are today if white people hadn't fought and lobbied and marched right alongside our black ancestors to get you the civil rights you have today. So don't come sideways at me again talking about how I'm somebody's gun-n***er. What I am is a friend to a very good cause. And you're the damn joke who sat the gun rally out because you don't like the second amendment but you'll be the first one screaming when they come for the first amendment once they wipe out the second. Because anyone who wants to run their mouth and say wrong shit all day NEEDS their speech to be protected. Fool."





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment