Monday, November 23, 2020

I flew yesterday and actually got a few minutes of fitful sleep on board.

Which is rare. I seldom sleep in commercial jets.

It reminded me of the time I actually fell into real sleep on an airplane. 

Actually it seems to be jets I can't sleep well on. For some reason I can sleep on prop jobs.

Anyway it was on Alaska Airlines which is a place I am loved and treated like a king by the crew. I went out like a light for a couple of hours and when I woke up the person in the seat next to me asked me if I enjoyed my nap and felt refreshed. I was still kind of groggy, though.

She was one of those creepy women that is generally toasted on mood elevators and talks down to everyone like they are toddlers and was therefore a ripe target of opportunity. I acted like I was in a dense fog.

"Huh? What? How come I'm not hung over? How come I don't have to puke? I guess I'm still drunk. You're not the stripper I picked up at the club! Who are you? Where am I?" I answered. "Huh? Oh. I'm on an airplane headed to Pittsburgh. I was wondering why I'm not hung over."

As luck would have it the attendant was within earshot and turned and looked at me supressing a smirk. The woman turned to her and started in with the usual "Did you hear that?" line.

What the attendant the attendant blew my mind. She told the woman, "Better get used to it. You just met a real Alaskan. I'll change his seat." She turned to me, "Follow me," she said.

I did as directed and she took me forward and seated me in First Class and said, "Sit here and behave yourself. That was a real Academy Award performance. Jack Nicholson couldn't have done any better. How much have you had to drink?"

"Nothing," I replied.

"Let me get you one, on us," she said.

I found myself seated to a pretty good guy. When I told him what I had done he laughed himself silly and I had a great flight. We both wondered how outraged the woman was when she saw I was being seated in First Class.

While this wasn't all that long ago it was back in recent history when the world had a sense of humor and the companies let the people in the field handle things and run the show at grass roots. I doubt this would happen today.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment