Saturday, November 27, 2021

A while ago someone gave me a pretty good bottle of cabrenet


and a big, long winded lecture on how I ought to save if for a fine meal of some sort and yada yada yada.

I parked the bottle for a few weeks and thought about it. The liklihood of me going through all of the hoopla of preparing some kind of a two day effort for one meal was pretty dim. I'm a cook, not a chef.

However a reservist was due home soon from Kuwait and I figured a special occasion was more important than a fancy meal. I told him to drop by for dinner as soon as he got settled and to give me a heads-up which he dutifully did.

When he called I asked him what he wanted for dinner and he laughed and said, "Whatever slop you want to dish out. After MREs for a year it's all good."

Yeah. I could get behind that. He was just looking for basic comfort food so I made up a pretty good batch of American Chop Suey which is a very, very close cousin of Chili Mac. Mine is more Italian them Mexican. Served with an excellent Italian bread form t local bakery.

I broke out the fine wine and it complimented the meal rather nicely.

There's always a lot of hoople regarding fine wines and that sort of crap but the time to drink it is when you feel like it.

I remember the date I had years ago when I lived in Kodiak. It was a simple movie date and we caught a movie at the Opium (Orpheum) Theater.

What made that date so memorable is that I smuggled in a couple of bottles of champagne with me and bought a HUGE pile of popcorn from the popcoen stand.

We watched the movie as we drank champagne and ate popcorn.

I'd bet that forty years later she still remembers that date.

Sometimes ya gotta think outside of the box, think for yourself and break the rules.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment