Friday, November 26, 2021

I am thinking of putting together a halfway decent .22 without jumping down the rabbit hole all the way.

I think I'll take a basic Ruger 10/22, get a trigger job done on it, add a decent set of sights and call it good.

I don't see myself getting into the Eley Tenex ammo, heavy barrels and all the stuff that goes with it. I don't want to end up with a $7500 Ruger 10/22 because it's just a .22 and a .22 is a .22.

I managed to keep expenses down when I was service rifle shooting and managed to do OK and I think that I used a rifle that could outshoot me which is what I was supposed to be using. The rifle could go Distinguished even though I didn't.







To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

10 comments:

  1. The Ruger BX 10/22 trigger ($70) is a very affordable upgrade.
    As for sights a fixed 4x 22 scope isn't a bad way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you getting a BX trigger for $70?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is one source...
    https://www.dowdlesports.com/Ruger-Sturm-Ruger-Co-Inc-Ruger-BX-Trigger-for-1022_p_88474.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is another source...

    https://milled.com/cheaper-than-dirt/save-15-on-a-ruger-bx-drop-in-trigger-CUnY4uk2rOuUeqwt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks but 15 minutes ago I just got a DEAL on a Volquartsen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well , that is a Gucci gun if there ever was one.
    I am jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you catch a Black Friday deal of $100 off you jump on it! I generally put a good trigger in anything that I want to shoot competition with and call it good.

    The only reason I'm looking for better sights is because the stock ones REALLY suck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beaner, if you know how to get in touch with me or have a disposable email shoot me a note. I will tell you how to get a good price on VQ products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piccolo,
      Thanks for the offer, but I am at that stage in life where I am selling off all/most of my guns because I am getting old and no one in the family has any interest in hunting or self defense. Don't want the Missus to be stuck with disposal either.

      Just FYI i have a Browning T-Bolt in 22 WMR that is a pleasure to shoot. Bug hole groups with just about any ammo.

      Delete
  9. I'm starting to shrink inventory myself and head back to basics and .22s.

    I have my nephew being groomed to take care of my reloading stuff when I am gone because it would be a true liability to my wife to deal with. For example you can NOT shoot Webley loads in an old Iver Johnson revolver because they are too hot yet they are BOTH headstamped 38 S&W.

    ReplyDelete