Thursday, March 18, 2010

I never had a real job until I was 38.

The subject of where one is supposed to be at what age came up.

Everybody's schedule is different.

It's a foolish concept, really. There is no set pattern and it reminds me of the so-called 'permanant record' they tried to scare you with at school and in the service.

When I was 38 I embarked on my career as a seaman moving oil. Prior to that I was doing odd jobs.

I'm 58 now, my home and all my vehicles are paid for and I am pretty much either even or ahead of most of the people I went to school with that put their noses directly to the grindstone at an early age and played the game.

A lot of them were the suckers that fell for the baloney that they were told, and I'm sure one or two of them still believe the somemone maintains the so-called 'permanent record' somewhere.

In fact, one time some nosy woman asked me what I did for a living and I told her that I worked for the Department of Permanent Records. She asked me about hers, so(this was a few years back) we went over to the pay phone and I called a friend of mine that is quick on the uptake and she gave me her name and SSN, which I acted like my cohort was plugging into the system.

After a wait, I said into the phone "What? She has none? I guess we better start a file on her." I then was treated to a panicky paranoia trip from her. It was halarious.

What astonished me is that she was one of those people that believed that crap.

I guess it just took me time to find where I should be. I'm glad I did and this business has been good to me.

Still, it's pretty nice having memories of a wonderfully misspent youth.

It goes well with proving to those suckers that they were wrong.


my other blog is:

http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment