Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Yesterday the garage door opener crapped out.

which was really long overdue because it was about 20 years old and is used constantly. It is actually the usual way we get in and out of the house. 

The back door is opened about once a year and the front door goes for months on end without being opened.  Entering this house generally means going through the garage. The opener is used dozens of time daily and finally decided to give up the ghost.

The opener owed me nothing when you consider how much it had been used. It was a miracle that it had lasted as long as it had. 

It was a Sears Craftsman and I deemed that I was so happy with the first one I would replace it with the same thing which they still make.

The Mrs went on line and found that the Sears unit was rated number two out of about ten and she was interested in getting the one with the best ratings. Of course it was not available and I was elated.

Sometimes number two is the way to go. We opted for the Craftsman and I was elated because I am the poor slob that is going to have to install this unit.

I ran down to the mall and snagged one and when I got home I went through all of the parts and it is going to be a drop-in installation.

I won't have to drill a new bunch of holes or much of anything else. I will just have to unbolt the old unit and bolt the new one in.

It even comes with the same type of safety device that I bypassed on the old one and I'll easily be able to bypass this one. It's one of those dopey things that keep you from pushing the 'close' button and letting you walk out so the door closes after you are outside.

It's a beam set up so if you break it the door stops closing. It is a safety device that causes more problems than it solves, but that's OK.

Anyway, a lot of people think that the way to go is to buy the most top rated unit they can find. Sometimes they are right, but there are times that going with number two is a better deal.

  



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment