Friday, November 25, 2016

My niece did it RIGHT.

What a wonderful Thanksgiving I had!

The niece did it right. There was just enough tradition and the perfect amount of fun and convenience. With three young children in attendence she had enough smarts NOT to break out the bone china and use a simple Walmart paper throwaway table cloth AND paper plates.

We also diddled a little with the usual menu. We swapped mashed potatoes for baked because that's what the kids like the best.

When you have three children and work the night shift you have to be resourceful and my niece is. You find out what matters fast and make things work to your advantage.

The Norman Rockwell deliver the turkey to the table and dad carves it was switched over to a more convenient system. The entire turkey pretty much stripped down as soon as it came out of the oven and the meat and mabye a leg and wing was served on a huge platter. Smart move as after dinner the leftovers were put in Tupperware and put away. Making leftover turkey meals was now going to be a snap.

The paper tablecloth was a true stroke of genius. I played tic-tac-toe on it with my niece while we waited for the serving to take place. My Godson, who is a little over a year old scribbled on the table with a crayon. It kept him occupied.

You have to remember I am an old man that never had any kids and it was a lot of fun to see how American Tradition met American practicality for a family with small children.

I said, "Norman Rockwell is spinning in his grave!" We laughed.

I have to get around children more often.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment