Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The weather has not broken enough yet to start running

guerrilla portable with my portable military ham rig.

I think this will be an active ham radio spring and summer as I think I am going to get out and lose some weight this summer.

When I am out and about running portable most people either leave me alone or are politely curious. I'm good to the politely curious as I should be. One meets pleasantries with pleasantries. It really is that simple.

Kids are curious also and I will generally spend time showing a kid around the rig and even let him talk to another ham if I am lucky to make contact with one.

The police are generally curious for a second or so until they hear the magic words 'ham radio' and then they either drive off or if they are technically minded they ask a few questions. I had one swing by the house with his kid because his kid was interested in ham radio.

I heard later the kid got licensed and I do believe I made a QSO with him on the 2 meter band afterwards. The cop was from another town over and I have not seen him since shortly after the kid licensed.

My favorite cop incident was with a Connecticut state trooper in a rest area.

Some jerk charged up like a self-appointed sheriff and demanded to know what I was doing. My Pavlovian answer was that he didn't have a need to know. He walked away and out came his cell phone. I knew he was calling some form of police. I stayed put and waited until the officer showed and told the cop exactly what happened and the annoyed cop looked at the guy that called.

When the cop was returning to his car to leave the self-appointed sheriff asked the cop what was going on. The cop replied, "You don't have a need to know!"




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment