Sunday, February 21, 2021

Gullibility. This one goes back about 20 years ago.

This goes back about 20 years ago when I was out having a drink with a Marine Gunnery Sergeant. I was (and still am) married. He was single and was yakking with some broad. 

When he got up to pee she asked me what I did for a living and I told her I worked for the 'Department of Permanent Records'. 

Of course she asked what that was. I asked her if back when she was a kid that anyone had ever told her something or another will go on her permanent record. "There's no such thing," she answered.

"It's very, very real," I said. "I've worked for the department for almost 20 years." God, I can keep a straight face!

"Really? Do I have one?" she asked.

"Almost everyone has one," I replied. "Want to know what's on yours?"

"I sure do." she said.

Now this was before everyone and their cousin had a cell phone. The three of us wandered over to the pay phone. By now the Gunny had returned.

I dialed my kid sister and when she answered it, I said, Oh. Betty. I'm glad it's you." My sister's name is not Betty and when she recognized my voice I she knew something was up and decided to play along.

"Betty, I need you to look up a record for me. Female. I'll get her name and social security number." I turned to the woman and she (like an idiot) gave it to me. I repeated it into the phone and waited a respectable length of time. 

Then I said into the phone, "What? She doesn't have one? You're going to start one on her?"

The woman went into a complete panic! That's when the Gunny stepped in and told her he could handle it and make it go away because he said that as a Marine recruiter he had access to permanent records because the Marines use them to make sure they don't let a criminal enlist. She was all over him when he said that.

I slipped out at this point but the next time I ran into the Gunny he laughed like hell and told me that he had gotten very lucky that night. 






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

1 comment: