Sunday, February 6, 2022

One of the things one does as he nears retirement is he starts

getting rid of stuff. 

Seeing as to how I have been assigned to the same boat I keep most of my stuff in my locker rather than carry it back and forth.

When one changes boats they generally wind up carrying a couple of seabags off the boat with them consisting of heavy winter and foul weather gear. I've already pulled off all of my heavy winter gear because I'm currently stationed in San Francisco. I don't need it there as it doesn't get anywhere near as cold as it does in New England.

Still the fact remains that I have a few things on board, most of which can be thrown away when I leave. I do, however have a couple of things I want to keep. One is a servicable pair of work boots. I have a plan for those.

The won't fit into my carry-on so the plan is that I will travel to the boat in the rattiest pair of Topsiders I own. I have been meaning to toss them anyway as they are well beyond ratty.

The plan is that I travel to San Francisco in thewell beyond ratty topsiders and on the return trip toss them into the trash and wear the boots home.

.......................................................................

Protip for travelers.

Those plastic footlockers are ideal for travel. Many of them are designed specifically for airline travel and count as a single bag.

I have a Contico that is just a whisler under the limit of 62 inches. If length, width and depth all add up to 62 inches or less it flys as one suitcase with no oversize luggage fees which is great.

I have traveled with a Sterlite that is about an inch or so oversize and the airline baggage people never checked and counted it as one piece. Still, better safe than sorry. Nobody likes getting whacked with a $100 oversized baggage fee at the last minute.

FWIW you can travel on Southwest with TWO of these and it's free.

The trick I used to get the sterlite bag through without and questions is I put an official looking stencil on it that read 32x17x13 cu wt 62.
I think one of the people glanced at the stencil and didn't question it.

The others didn't even give it a passing glance. They simply tagged it.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment