Sunday, June 4, 2023

Ahh, yes. Another post.

in the never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.

One of the things I remember from work is the time I swapped a couple favors in return for someone going over my laptop.  The guy that went over it did it in his spare time and sent it back to me via the company's supply run from headquarters.

It had to pass through the hands of one nosy supervisor that refused to give it to me stating that it was 'valuable company property' which it wasn't. It was mine.

Quick fix. "You want me to make a phone call or three?" I asked.

He was a fairly new supervisor and realized I had been there for about 20 years.

"No," he said glibly and handed me my laptop.

To his credit he probably realized like most everywhere else that there was a back channel economy of little favors here and there. Most old timers traded little favors here and there from time to time.

What had I done to get him to upgrade my laptop?

I had called someone else I knew that owed me a couple of favors and asked him to look at his car and if possible fix it. (quick fix.)

What had I done for the mechanic that looked at his car? 

Simple. He was overloaded and I got someone else I knew to repair something on board that he was supposed to fix.

What had I done for the guy who fixed my vessel?

His boat had Old School booms and as an Old School guy I rerigged them.

One of the things I kinda miss about work was the wheeling and dealing of small favors here and there. 











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment