Monday, June 19, 2023

I missed a day

because I woke up and ran off to a service rifle match, an 80 round match.

The Range officer said we could shoot a 50 round match if we wanted to but I decided to go the whole mile. 

I had a problem with my eyesight and was kinda like Mr McGoo.

I did poorly and it's either open the rear aperture or rebuild the old work horse and install glass. I'd rather shoot irons so I guess I'll just open up the rear aperture and see what happens. I think I now need more light.

My other choice is rebuild the rifle and install glass which I am somewhat loathe to do. The rifle has a low round count and that means I can reuse everything except the upper receiver.

Still, I love irons so I have to dig out the rest of the apertures that i got when I bought the rear sight and swap them out.

There's a Garand match coming up and I asked the range officer if I can put a piece of orange on the target number to keep from cross firing. I think he's good with it.

In other news while I didn't shoot the match I saw improvision at its finest at a match I attended but did not shoot. 

Some spring growth obscured the far right target from the shooting position 300 yards away. 

The guy two down could see the target and the guy on the right could see his so they had the scorers in the pits change score cards and they cross fired into each other's targets. Quick fix!

It it's stupid and it works it's not stupid.

In other news I mentioned that years ago I have been cheated out of my Sharpshooter rating by a lazy secretary  that didn't send my scores in. The range officer overheard that and spoke to me.

Apparently they have the old records somewhere and he said he's see what he can do. It would be nice to have a Sharpshooter's card.

That was awfully kind of the guy and even if he can't get it done I really appreciate it. 

What is interesting to note is that he was a cocky smart ass years ago when he was a kid but has grown up to be a kind and compassionate person. He's OK in my book. He didn't have to offer to do that but he did and I'm grateful for him just offering to try for me.

Yesterday I saw a couple of guys shoot 9X cleans! Amazing!

My scorer told me yesterday that he saw when my eyes would clear up a but because I'd hammer a few rounds into the 10 ring and then kind of veer off.

Anyway, the club lets guys shoot out of competition so I can go and enjoy myself. I've shot a couple of matches with a 10/22 much to my enjoyment and the amusement of others.

After the match one of the guys had brought his daughters and I said to the little one, "I used to have a little girl just like YOU!" She beamed. 

Someone asked me, "Then she grew up, huh?"

I sadly replied, "No. I lost her in a poker game when she was six. Why, my wife wouldn't talk to me for almost two whole weeks after that happened."

The guy looked confused for a second but everyone else howled. 

The other thing that happened was we were talking about earlier matches we had shot and when I was telling my story I asked one of the guys if he had attended that match. He said he hadn't.

"Oh, good!" I replied. "Now I can add another ten points to the score I shot."

Then the guys started adding their bull$hit to the tale about how everyone else that shot the match had since died and I was the sole survivor and so on.

Sometimes the good natured bull$hit is as much fun as the match. 











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment