Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Update. Get a job.


Update;

I managed to negotiate my way through the Sam's Club maze and filled out my application and according to the person I spoke with I'm probably going to work inside of a couple of weeks which is fine.

So far it looks interesting as most of my coworkers (assuming I get hired) will be youngsters and retirees which is a plus. The youngsters will make me grow up and the retirees will make me feel young...or maybe vice versa. We'll see.

8888888888888888888888888888888

When you go looking for a job it's best to recon and chat with a few employees and see if they're happy people because if they are it's probably a halfway decent place to work.

One thing about it, This is a new era as far as finding a job goes. There's no way in hell I could get away with the crap I pulled back in the 80s to get hired. On the other hand the application was pretty straightforward and didn't ask a million questions like the last one I filled out thirty some years ago. 

Actually I wonder how much information say, pre '90 they could really dig up on me. Google, for example came out in 1998 and I'm fairly sure there isn't a whole lot of information that would be available other than service and criminal records. 

I've posted a while ago that I fished for a decade and the first five years I skipped from boat to boat. In Alaska where the work is seasonal anyone there would look at my history and see I kept busy and was likely a pretty good hand. Stateside they would think that I couldn't keep a job. 

I hid that 5 years by listing "French Foreign Legion. Attained the rank of corporal". It belted it out of the park because the personnel person that hired me said they had never met a Foreign Legionnaire before and I got the interview and sold myself.

In fact, I had no credentials and they actually wrote me a letter of intent to hire (damned hard to get back then) and even took me to the Regional Exam center to get my temporary and that was a two hour one way trip from Philly to Baltimore!

88888888888888888888888888888888

One thing about me is that I am wise enough to know that a job situation works both ways. Of course they are checking me out, but I am also checking them out and trying to get a feel. They question me I question them.

When I was asked why I chose Sam's Club over Wallyworld I replied 'Fewer Karens' and the two if us swapped our favorite Karen stories.

I got a pretty good feeling about things from a people standpoint

******************************************

I had to fill out a couple of questionnaires corporate sent me and I filled them out honestly which scares me.

There were a number of which you would do first and what you'd do last. Several of their little scenarios included bring things up to a supervisor and every single one I checked that dragging management into things is the last thing I would do for two reasons. I'm an adult and know how to settle things with people. Management is a last resort. 

On the other hand they may want to hire a bunch of snitches. Who knows?

Of course about 20+ years ago (my first employer) I did report someone to management. He was completely unsafe and I brought that one upstairs. Not only was he unsafe but he was a troublemaker.

I was told by management it was of no concern of mine and I didn't have the authority yada yada yada.

A short time later when I was shoreside he managed got get banged up akin to Evel Knievel and when I heard about it I kept quiet.

As to be expected the lawsuits began before the ambulance arrived at the hospital and the last thing they wanted to hear is that I had reported it earlier and they had ignored it.

Truth is the questionnaires are made up by corporate and maybe they do want an army of snitches. On the other hand at a store level they just want people that can get the job done. They don't want to make a big issue because Fat Earl ate a candy bar in the back room instead of the prescribed break room. They want adults that can settle their own petty problems.

No telling what corporate was thinking when they made the test up. Oh, well.

With my luck they will likely try the old bait and switch tactic of telling me I am not cut out to be a cart wrangler and offer me a job as a department head which is exactly what I DON'T want.





 


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment