Monday, February 5, 2024

The automatic transmission argument.

I've driven a manual for decades because I like it. I enjoy driving one and because I tend to avoid major cities it's no hassle whatsoever.

Enter the car salesman and this is kind of my own damned fault for stopping to look at an interesting older pickup out of curiosity. I looked inside it saw it was an automatic transmission and I started to walk off.

Some salesman stopped me as I was headed back to my pickup and asked me if I was interested.

"Nope. Someone put an automatic transmission in it and ruined it. It came stock back then as a 4 speed," I said. "Someone ruined a perfectly good Old School ride. I'm not interested."

The "I'm not interested" should have stopped him then and there and he asked me what I had against automatic transmissions. I told him I didn't know how to drive one. That really should have stopped him.

"Well, perhaps..." he started.

"Perhaps nothing. I'm not interested and you have nothing else I'm interested in," I said right back. 

"What do you mean you don't know how to drive an automatic transmission?" he queried.

"Not that it's any of your business, but I don't know how because I don't want to know how because if I did know how someone would make me drive one and I don't want to. I have worked hard for 56 years at making sure I didn't learn how because I don't want to be forced to drive one," I said. Now it was crystal clear I was not interested.

"What would happen if you had to take someone to the hospital and the car had an automatic?" he asked.

"It depends. If it were you, you'd die." I said.

"You'd let me die rather than drive an automatic transmission?" he got wide eyed. It was the break I was looking for.

"No. I'd let you die because I don't like you because you're a pain in the ass," I said. "If it was someone I liked I suppose I could figure it out."

I walked off.

I'm actually pretty proud of the way I handled that one even though a lot of people probably think I should be ashamed but people like him don't know when to drop an issue even after being told several times...especially when I'm obviously in a bad mood.

Besides used car salesman for the most part are a pain in the ass.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Not knowing how to drive an automatic transmission has saved me a number of times at work from being stuck driving company vans over the years.

THAT'S why I don't know how to drive one. 





 




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment