Thursday, February 29, 2024

Well, let's see how I make out with a volunteer position at a local animal shelter.

which I am going to put in for in about an hour or so.

We shall see what we shall see. I think I may be useful because I don't want to sit around petting cats, dogs and rabbits all day long. I'm sure there's no shortage of those people and I likely won't like a lot of them.

What I can do is the dirty work which is fine by me. 

They likely need people to sort out animal food, wash sheets and towels and pick up donations which doesn't sound awful.

Actually I don't know what they need and I'll just head on down there and find out.

We shall see what we shall see.

Got back. Filled out an application and looked around. It's a much larger complex than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure this is going to be a good fit but if they want me I'll see what happens. 

888888888888888888888888888888888888

That was yesterday. I got back an email telling me that the next orientation won't be until April at the earliest. 

Off to try something else. I had thought of being a traffic control flagger and saw an opening and decided not to fill out their online application but to go straight to their office and go that route. That way I can check THEM out. 

Companies seem to forget that things are a two way street...or maybe they didn't forget. They hire you on line and then they can bait and switch or whatever. I like to look at whoever is hiring me in the eye. After I do that I can fill out the online bull$hit.

You have to remember that I have not gone out looking for a job of any sort in almost 40 years. Of course 40 years ago there was no internet and whatever I put on my application couldn't easily be checked out. Back then  I covered up 5 years of boat hopping by putting down that I had a hitch in the French Foreign Legion which actually wound up getting me through the door for an interview. The interviewer had never met a legionnaire before and wanted to meet one.

(I was smart enough not to tell him I had won the Legion of Honor for shooting 38 A-rabs off the back of a camel. Instead I told him I had spent my hitch fixing vehicles. It may have been a letdown and not what he wanted to hear but it was far more believable.

When I got there I saw a sign saying all whatevers should check into the main office so I walked into a garage and asked where the office was. I chatted with the guy that gave me directions and he said it was an OK outfit to work for which is a plus and a sneaky trick. Always check with employees if you can to see if the place is worth a $hit. I found the main office.

The assistant whatever saw me immediately and we sniffed each other's asses like a couple of dogs. We discussed what kind of jobs they had and the flagger positions sometimes get sent out of town which means I'm not interested. After a career at sea I now like to sleep in my own bed. I've fleabagged it enough for one lifetime. I don't want to get stuck working 7-12s in Outer Slobovia on some Interstate rebuild or something like that. 

Then he pointed out that they do need a few people to work in the yard which sounded interesting. I can fix stuff and build things so that might be OK. Anyway he said I had his interest and that I should come in Monday to talk to the Big Boss who was out of town.

I left feeling somewhat encouraged. 

The advantage here over the animal shelter is that I'd actually be drawing a paycheck which means my life will be a little easier because I'll have a little more money to spend even though I don't need it to survive. It'll mean that maybe I can upgrade my hobby stuff of get a good bottle of scotch and/or a steak dinner a little more often AND add to savings which may make a real difference with the current rate of inflation. 

Anyway I might pound some pavement tomorrow or maybe not.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment