Thursday, February 1, 2024

No good deed goes unpunished.

On the rare occasions the post office guy screws up and stuffs the wrong letter in my box I generally just drive over to the right address with it and stuff it in their mailbox. 

It doesn't happen too often and my guess is it isn't the delivery guy's fault because I'm sure the post office has a sorting machine of some kind and the delivery guy has it sorted out for him ahead of time.

I've done this since I moved here on the rare few times it has occurred. 

Enter the doorbell camera and me having to explain what happened.

"I got a misdelivered letter and stuffed it into your mailbox. No biggie," I explained. 

Instead of a warm 'Thank you' I got a dubious "Yeah, well, uhh."

Yeah, well what? Most people (at least used to) say 'thank you' and leave it at that. Some people don't even have the decency to say 'thank you'. It's like they're afraid to because it's an admission of guilt or something stupid like that. Actually it is a case of guilt. Guilty of piss poor manners.

After that I actually changed my tack a bit. The next time it happened I went to the house, knocked on the door and handed it to the person who was grateful as hell and asked why I didn't just stuff it in the mailbox.

"Ring doorbell cameras," I said. "No good deed goes unpunished. I don't want a visit from the Post Office police. If it happens again here I'll just stuff it in your box now you know who I am."

"I see your point," he replied.

I found out he was a cop of some sort so he knew instantly what I meant because I'm sure the police have to deal with that kind of stupidity on a regular basis.

I guess I'm a hardnose because I will continue to do the right thing but I'll say that when it gets harder and harder to do the right thing then people stop doing it.







To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment