Friday, February 2, 2024

Where is Moose and Squirrel?

I love to talk to Russian and Ukranian women that speak pretty good English.

Note I said pretty good English. I didn't say totally native fluent English. I said pretty good English.

The kind that sound like Natasha Fatale of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame. It's completely understandable and when you think about it a while it has a certain regional charm like certain regional accents.

A few years back there was a Russian (possibly Ukraine) woman working in one of the local building supply houses where I did business and I used to make it a point to go through her register just to chat with her.

If I had to describe the way she spoke I'd have to designate it as an American non-regional regional accent. In a way, it's kind of like the Old School Italian immigrant 'whassamatter you?' form of English, but very different.

I'm not a professor of language but from what I gather the Slavonic languages (which includes Russian and Ukranian) seem to put together their sentences very practically and it does show in a Russian speaking English as a second language. While they seem a little different their putting together of a thought makes sense.

One thing I have heard on the air was a QSO between a guy from Aroostock County, Maine and a deep voiced Bayou Cajun and I considered it to be DX by everything except actual definition. 

I'm not going to drag a personal connection into this post which is why I wrote it but a friend of mine has a daughter that is a Russian national and wanted to see the wildlife in upper New England and he told me he fell over laughing when his daughter asked him "Where is moose and squirrel?"





 









 



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment