One of the funniest scenes Hollywood has ever created was Major Kong going through the B-52s survival kit during the movie ‘Dr. Strangelove’.
He was taking inventory and the kit contained the following:
- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings
When he concluded his inventory he commented, “Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all of that stuff!”
These days I wonder how far this stuff would go in Las Vegas.
The rubles are probably worthless. I suppose you could pawn the .45 and ammo. You really could not get a whole lot for the drugs and the gum, nylons and lipsticks are not worth a whole lot these days. Condoms are free at Planned Parenthood.
I suppose all you’d have to work with is the gold and whatever you could get out of the pawn shop for the .45 and that’s about it.
That won’t get you very far in Vegas these days.
In a way it’s kind of sad.
my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/