Sunday, February 13, 2011

Today will be a simple day of basic house stuff.

Last time I was home I did a ton of laundry. In addition to clothes I did sheets and towels and all of the other stuff that need doing periodically.

Now I have to fold it and put it away.

A lot of guys have huge piles of unwashed laundry sitting next to the machine awaiting wash. I don't have that problem.

Instead, I have a mountain of perfectly clean wash sitting on the laundry table and now I have to put it all away.

Sometimes when I am home I operate straight out of the dishwasher instead of the cupboards. I pull clean dishes out of the dishwasher and after I use them I put them back into it. When they're almost all dirty dishes in it again I simply dump soap into it and run them through.

It makes life a little easier as I don't have to handle them as much.

This blog is not all excitement and living in tipis and Bering Sea crab fishing and shooting and stuff. A lot of it is daily life.

I've met a couple of my readers and maybe they feel let down because I am not a bigger than life character. I am nothing more or less than an old guy that has made his life on the road less traveled.

I have had most of the same little problems everyone else has had. There have been days the car won't start and the morning coffee pot boils over.

One of the things that irks me is when people jump to conclusions.

Yesterday I told someone that I was going out to get some Gold Bond foot powder and they immediately got concerned and asked me what was wrong with my feet.

Nothing is wrong with my feet and I want to keep it that way so I use Gold Bond foot powder.

Many years ago I bought a package of dry condoms and tossed then in the closet. They lasted for a deer season.

A deer season? What does that have to do with condoms?

Simple. I used them as muzzle covers because the weather in SE Alaska was often times wet. They were pretty good for that. On a Garand the front sight would poke through them and I could sight in and fire without removing it.

It's an old GI trick and I'd bet that a lot of guys hit the beaches with one over the muzzle of their Garands.

Of course, when I bought them the druggist warned me that they were not the lubricated kind and I had to tell him I wasn't using them for sex.

I also used to use them for wine making when I'd make swipe with fruit juice and yeast in a 5 gallon water cooler bottle. Add the ingredients, mix them up, stick a condom over the bottle neck and store in a warm place for a while. The condom would blow up like a balloon. When it was deflated the beverage was ready to drink.

When I bought those the drugggist also told me they were not lubricated and I had to conjure up some excuse fast because if I simply said they were not for sex then there would be other questions forthcoming and I didn't want to tell him I was making my own hooch. I think I told him I was using them as muzzle covers for my Garand.

------------------------------------------------

Earlier this morning there was something about France on the news and it reminded me of dealing with a French officer many years ago.

I was overheard telling a couple of the guys that things would work out OK and the officer looked at me and asked me why I was so condident.

I looked up at him and told him, "Because I am a sergeant in the United States Army and if something looks like it isn't going to be OK, I'll make it OK!"

My company commander looked at the French officer and grinned.

"That's why he's a sergeant," he told the confused officer. That really left him confused.

A lot of people in different countries wonder why Americans are so confident and I guess it is because we have the opportunity to change things if we don't like them the way they are.

I have to get back to work so I'll leave you with that.

Pic, out.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment