Monday, April 2, 2012

I just spent a couple days living with ny nephew

who seems to be one of the damned few younger guys that seems to get it.

We spent a few days just doing dopey guy stuff which is always a good thing as dopey guy stuff is just plain fun. We went to the rifle range and I taught him to shoot a Garand and he did damned good with the old war horse, keeping all of his shots in the black.

For those of you that do not know what a Garand is, it is a WW2 era battle rifle that is chambered in the world renowned and very powerful 30/06 cartridge. Unlike the smaller 'mouse guns' used today the Garand is a real animal.

He took to the rifle and did well with is.

We also fooled around witht he radios and hilltopped the mall and the water tower and it was fun watching a tech guy like him see how well Old School stuff actually worked when we QSO'd North Dakota, Texas and New Mexico. We almost bagged Belgium but could not bust through the pile-up.

When it was his turn to cook, he cooked and did a damned fine job of burning beef which is somewhat rare in a younger guy as they tend to use too much care with good beef.

The crowning glory of the visit, though, was when I would wake up and head into the bathroom and notice he had apparently been up in the middle of the night to pee.

He had ghosted in, peed against the side of the bowl to not splash and had left the toilet unflushed.

I noticed that he was stirring so after I took care of business I flushed. As I did, I was thinking, "This guy gets it."

He didn't do this because he was a pig. He just had enough sense to know that old men do not sleep like young men and he had the basic barracks-type manners and the consideration not to wake me up in the middle of the night by flushing a power flush toilet at 3 AM.

In this day and age where college kids don't even have room mates any more it is a joy to find a younger guy that knows how to like with other people.

It doesn't get any better than this.
---------------------
The next portion of this program is brought to you by The Old Grouch Military Surplus. http://www.oldgrouch.com/ For some reason I can't get it to hot link so you have to cut and paste.

I just bought an ALICE pack from the guy. He told me they were in pretty good shape. It was a lie of sorts, the pack arrived in MINT condition.

The surplus business is a hard way to make a buck because people do not understand it. An item that is 'surplus, unused, new' is not the same as 'retail, new'. The surplus item is apt to have a few small storage dings on it. If you do not know that in advance you will often be disappointed.

Tim does a pretty good job describing things and he's great to work with.

ANyway, doing business with Tim has always been a good experience.

I just thought I'd mention this.





my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment