Monday, March 18, 2013

Checking in.

I'm up and having coffee and right not the ham rig is on and I'm checking in with YL system as I generally do in the morning.

My work on getting ready for the upcoming match is almost over as I have finally figured out a load that my rifle likes and will stay supersonic out past 1000 yards.

My load is 45.5 grains of IMR 4064 under a 155 grain Sierra Match King bullet and they're running about 2860 feet per second which means they're going to be 1250 fps at 100 yards.

I had a different load with a slightly different bullet that chronyed a little over 3000 fps. That's fast for a .30 caliber bullet but it didn't group very well so I rejected it.

There are a lot of people out there that do not understand handloading ammunition and think it is simply a case of dumping powder in and stuffing a bullet on top but there is more to it than that. WHile there is a cheapie kit out there that will allow you to do just that, there's a lot more to it to get a good, accurate load.

5/8ths  of an inch at 100 yards isn't all that bad a group but I had to work at getting things that good.

I won't get into it right now but I have put over a week and several trips to the range to develop this load for this rifle and today I have to crank out 150 rounds.

Incidentally this is  particular match is going to be fun for me because it has been a dog's age since I have shot anything but a 200 yard reduced course of fire and this course of fire is 3, 6 and 800 yards. The truth is that I don't have a chance in hell of doing very well in the match but I'm going there to simply do the best I can and learn the basics of another shooting discipline.











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

No comments:

Post a Comment