Saturday, September 9, 2017

On Hurricane watch today and tomorrow on 14.325

And will check in with the Young Ladies on 14.332.

One of the things that has occurred to me is an awful lot of Floridians I find on the air are retirees that have great home stations.

The problem with that is when power goes out or their tower gets knocked over they have nothing.

I hope enough of these kind of guys have some kind of backup.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Right now I am listening to net control on 14.325 asking for check ins from the affected area. Sounds like pretty slim pickings. This confirms a lot of my suspicions about many hams.

I am a little different in that I have a guerrilla type rig I can set up anywhere on a moment's notice. A lot of the big guns with 1.5K amps and huge towered Yagi antennas laugh at the little 30 watt rig but I have DXCC'd with it. You also have to realize that a 30watt rig on the air is a damned sight better than a 50,000 KW commercial station and no power. The latter is just an oversize paperweight, the former a legitimate low power station.

Today I am not fooling around with my small backpack rig. I am monitoring the airwaves with the base station.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment