Thursday, September 21, 2017

Someone asked me why I have written about the Foreign Legion and


the truth is that a Legion officer probably saved my life when I was in my twenties.

When I was planning my next move while I was living in the tipi in the Rockies I thought I might want to do game preservation work in Africa next. I wrote the governments of several African nations and got varying answers. At the time there was turmoil there and I got a couple of counter offers to basically become a mercenary. I wasn't interested.

In addition to the African nations I wrote the Legion because someone said they were mildly involved in law enforcement and game preservation. This proved to be unfounded but a Legion officer took the time to send me a very thought provoking answer that tuned me into the reality of such a career choice.

He was quick to point out that the price of poached ivory was so high that the poachers, who were criminals to begin with, would not hesitate to simply murder a game warden.

He said that he considered his career as a Legionnaire to be far safer than that of an African game warden. THAT got my attention.

Anyway, I do feel I owe the Legion one because of the kindness of a Legion officer and the kind letter he sent me so long ago.

To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment