Thursday, May 16, 2024

One thing about boats is that

people buy one with all sorts of intentions and generally wind up biting off more than they can chew.

Looking back on things I did it right with my sailboat. She was a dead simple 24'7' heavy full keel sailboat, a Sailstar Corsair 24 aka Bristol 25.

Everything about her was simple and easy to maintain and she was a joy to sail. 

I remember rewiring her and everything I did was simple and color coded. Repairs were a snap and were inexpensive. The only things in her that were even remotely complex were the electronics but everything leading up to the actual unit was basic.

I did have a solar panel in her to keep the battery charges and it did do an adequate job although at the dock I seldom used much 12 volt energy, just the AM/FM radio I had installed in her.

For inside waters I did follow the Rules of the Road and display the proper running lights but offshore I played it a little different. The big thing is to be able to be seen and a simple aluminum radar reflector and a kerosene lantern aloft did the trick. 

The important part of being offshore is simply being seen to avoid collision. A collision at sea can ruin your whole day.

I knew the reflector worked because I got reports from other boats.

When I say she was simple, I do mean simple. The first thing I pulled out of her was the head and replaced it with a 5 gallon plastic bucket. The pair of through hull fittings were pulled out and the holes fiber glassed over. The spot for the head was turned into storage, mainly for tools.

If you are afraid of using a bucket as a toilet you should not be out cruising to begin with.

She was a tiller boat and had no wheel which was simpler yet. Later I had to learn to sail using a wheel and still don't like it as much as I do a wheel. You could feel when you are on track better with a tiller. 

She was primitive enough to be low maintenance but comfortable enough for a couple of guys to travel together in.

Most weekenders like more creature comforts but don't get to sail as much as I did because more comforts means more maintenance.













To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment