Thursday, May 23, 2024

Winter is OFFICIALLY over now

because I have seen my first South Boston Drowning Party of the season.

Even though I have lived here for over 30 years I don't know what they call one locally.

I grew up on Boston's South Shore and back in the day there were two boat liveries that rented skiffs and outboards close to where I grew up.

City people generally from Irish Catholics from Southie, the Irish enclave, would rent a boat and cram as many people as possible in it for a fun day of boating. We locals would cringe as we saw them go by with the gunnels just a couple of inches out of the water. 

One of the larger cruisers could easily swamp one of these with their wake and I'm sure it happened more than once.

The name was synonymous with an overloaded open skiff and yesterday I saw my first one of the season on the Ohio River.

Winter is now OFFICIALLY over. 




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment