Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Back in the day when I got my first Merchant Marine Document (then called a Z-card)

I really threw a wrench into the Regional Exam Center because I had taken the lifeboat course while I lived in Alaska.

The origunal document was a sheet of paper with my information on it and a photograph of myself stapled to it. I could get a real card after 60 days of sea time.

After 60 days I showed up ar the REC again to collect my 'hard card' AND take the Lifeboatman's test. The rules to take the test were a year's sea time on the card OR 60 days sea time and a course approved by the Commandant. Of course, I had the latter and the diploma to prove it.

When I told them I wanted to take the test I was categorically denied because they said I needed a year's sea time. That's when I whipped out the diploma and quoted the appropriate rule that permitted me to.

The two petty officers looked at each other dubiously and handed me off to the Chief. The Chief commented that it had been a while since anyone had gone that route and told the two petty officer to check the rule. Both did and were surprised I was eligible. I guess you learn something new every day.

The next step was to see of the diploma had actually been properly approved. I was on the east coast and Alaska was several time zones away so I was told to come back in about 4 hours because of the time zone differences which I did.

When I returned they gave me the OK to test and I sat down and did well in the written. Then I did well in the practical and they whipped my card up in short order.

I returned to the office at the last minute and the personel woman wanted the obligatory burned off copy for my record. While making it she noticed the Lifeboatman's endorsement and asked me how I had managed to get it. Normally the Lifeboatman's test was a part ot the Able Seaman's test.

I told her I had taken the course when I considered working on the Alaska ferry system and explained how the system worked.

As I near the end of my career I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed in Alaska and worked on the ferries. I would have been retired over a decade ago with a fat pension but had I retired 10 years ago I probably would have drank myself to death. 

Who knows?

Like the graffiti on the landing craft said, It's too late to worry now.

 




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

4 comments:

  1. Piccolo,
    Does this blog have a self destruct feature? Can you push that button?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta agree with that last comment. Time to throw this blog on the bonfire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes Hash, the comments are the best part of this rag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite frankly, Hash doesn't give a rats ass what you men think. sr

    ReplyDelete