Saturday, September 4, 2021

Other than a couple that I bought at Goodwill, I have not owned a

suit since I got out of the Army.

Many years ago I bought a couple of 1940s suits at Goodwill and that's about it.

T ruth is I look best in 40s styles for some reason and although it's not obvious I head into that direction. Much of my wardrobe is classical Old School which seems to still fit in OK.

Back in the late 60s and 70s the suit was the uniform of the corporate automaton and to an extent it still is.

This doesn't mean I run around showing up at weddings and funerals looking like a bum. I don't.

If somethiing comes up I just call my youngest sister that has a great eye for clothes and we pick me out a decent outfit. She can make me look like a million bucks. She has an eye for it and has set me up with a decent jacket, tie and slacks outfit beffore and will likely do it again at some time in the future.

Wearing a shirt and tie doesn't really annoy me a whole lot. A guy should have a couple of halfway decent outfits to his name It's just suits I have avoided.

For some reason I didn't want to be clad in what was then and to an extent still is the uniform of the corporate automaton. Besides, other than a 40s cut suit I don't feel I look my best in one.

I think about the time I turned 40 and realized that I had avoided having to own a suit I decided, "What the hell. See if I can make if for the rest of my life without one unless I can get a nicely cut 40s suit.

At one time I seriously considered trying to find one of those Hollywood costume makers to whip me up a nice 40s cut suit but I figure it would simply bee too damned expensive. It used to be the place to go was Hong Kong and also Bankok for inespensive high quality suits but airfare is too high.

Besides, the minute I bought one something like a car breakdown would happen and I'd wind up ruining it, anyway so why bother.

Still, I am starting to take a perverse delight that I have managed to avoid the suit route for so long.







To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment