Friday, September 17, 2021

Smedley Butler was right about war being a racket.

What made me stop and think was an interesting officer I served under.

He had enlisted as a private, passed the FAST test and was selected to be an aviation candidate. He learned to fly a helicopter and was warranted as a Warrant Officer. 

Later through some program he commissioned as an Artillery Officer.

I said it must have been a lot of fun flying a helicopter.

He replied, "Yeah. It was. At least until the first time I had to order my gunner to murder some poor guy that I probably would have enjoyed having a beer with."

That's when I realized I had been trained to be a murderer. I had to think that one over.

Later during a riot control class I spoke out. I said that if any officer or NCO ordered me to fire on American citizens without a damned good reason I would turn my rifle on him and shoot HIM.

You could have heard a pin drop until a voice in the back of the class sounded off and said loudly "AS YOU SHOULD!"

Guess who that was?

I think there's a shortage of good officers like that these days.

 

To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

3 comments:

  1. I want to say Butler, but wasn't he already dead? Please tell me who it was? Thanks sr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to say Butler, but wasn't he dead already? Please tell me who it was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

    ReplyDelete