Saturday, July 27, 2024

Scout and Jem live near me. They are a joy to watch.

If you ever read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' it was written from the point of view of an older woman who was named Jean Louise Finch.
She and her big brother were raised my their widower father.

Anyway, she and her big brother were close growing up and I see the similarities of  two children growing up nearby. I call them Scout and Jem.

It's really quite a joy to see two siblings working as sort of a team and helping each other out. She pitches the ball, he hits it and they trade off. That sort of thing. 

More often than not siblings don't really get along that way. The differences in age and whatever  often preclude it.

Three or four years early on often makes a big difference and while maybe later in life they may go closer, often in childhood they don't.

Yeah, I know. It's hit or miss but I truly love watching Scout and Jem helping each other out at such an early age.

Sometime if I ask for Scout to give an old man a hug she lights up like a Christmas tree and wraps her little arms around me and I melt.

One of the things that has given me great satisfaction is watching people I have seen since infancy grow up. 

It should be interesting to note that I actually hired a ten year old boy man to take complete and total care of my animal and home while I was off to sea. It proved to be a damned good choice. II C he was 12 when he took kitty to the vet entirely on his own and when I got home he reported it to me. He just dealt with it like it was another bump in the road. Cat's sick? Get kitty fixed. He's 22 now and on an internship through Embry-Riddle.

I hope I get a few more years to get to watch those two nearby kids   grow up together. It's just too precious.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-inine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment