Wednesday, July 24, 2024

What laws don't I enforce?

"Most of them," replied a police officer.

Interesting and honest answer. I believe him.

Most laws on the books are bull$hit when you stop and think about it.

Wear a pair of cargo pants on a Sunday and  you have broken the law and could be fined because they have a pocket in them big enough to hold a pint bottle. Granted, it's an antiquated pre revolution Blue Law but it's still on the books somewhere.

I can't sing in the bathtub. I can sing in the shower, however and occasionally I exercise that right. That was enacted in PA in 1969! Why?

Of course there is (as with a lot of laws) there are grey areas. If you are standing in the tub taking a shower are you taking a shower or are you in a bathtub? 

I won't get started because the list is pretty endless. The books are chockablock full of all sorts of stupid stuff. Actually some of them actually made sense when they were enacted. For example, the wool subsidy. It was enacted to insure we had a good supply of wool that was to be used for military uniforms in time of war. Now we use synthetics so the subsidy no longer makes sense.

My favorite imaginary subsidy is the Zeppelin subsidy. I seriously doubt that there was ever one because if there was one we would still be subsidizing Zeppelins.  

One thing I have run into over the years is a fairly large number of LEOs that have their heads bolted on properly and realize what they are doing.

One of the things that we ought to do at both a state level AND a federal level is sift through all this bull$hit and repeal about 95% of it.

Early on in the Trump administration he was pushing to have 2 laws repealed for every one that was enacted. I don't think that got very far, though.

Personally I believe every single law enacted should sunset (with an option for renewal). The sunset should be 50 years or less.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years back we had a local cop who decided that he was going to enforce the 'letter of the law.' In his case it was 1-over speed violations, though I could easily see it being singing in one's bathtub.

    This all came to an abrupt end, when the local magistrate got fed up and hauled his chief into her office. I was not there, obviously, but supposedly she told the chief that the next time she got a less than 10-over from that officer, she was going to dismiss any other charges brought by any officer of that department, for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that happening...as it SHOULD have happened.

      Delete