Monday, April 26, 2010

made a pretty good score from a Russian sailor.


We lightered a Russian ship and I traded a US Army t-shirt for a Russian navy shirt, one of the jerseys you see in the movies. The ones with the blue and white horizontal stripes.

It fits me pretty goood.


One of the other guys thinks I'm nuts and tried to compare it with trading underwear.

I told him it was time to change underwaer anyway, so I simply changed with the Russian sailor. I can be pretty deadpan about stuff like that.

Several years ago I lightered a Russian ship and this Rooski, a younger one, came down the gangplank alongside and with one of those shifty-eyed Mafioso looks, peered around for a second and opened his coat up.

Inside it, straight out of a movie, was a bunch of hooks and a bunch of Red Army stuff. I scored a pretty good belt with a brass buckle and a few other odds and ends.

I also sent up a bunch of worn gloves and almost started a riot because the poor bastards only had burlap mittens to protect their hands in the winter. I almost cried when I saw that.

No human should work at sea with something as shabby as that.

Anyway, it was a pretty good score.

I'm a happy camper.


my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment