Thursday, April 1, 2010

I have been grumbling on a daily basis for six months straight

At first I thought it would do me good and gruntle me so I would not feel disgruntled, but it has really done a lot less good than i thought it would do.

Truth is, I would like to go to Afghanistan and blog the troops, but I don't see it happening in the near future.

I really don't want to hobnob with a bunch of officers and listen to the usual things that reporters listen to and report, I'd just like to meet some of the young guys and tell anyone that reads this what the guys are like.

I'd like to tell you about the kid that is presently a tank gunner or a grunt and listen to him and hear of his hopes and dreams and see what he plans to do when he gets back to the states.

A while ago I met a grunt, a former Marine that got out of the Corps and went straight into an army reserve unit. He was a grunt, an infantryman and had a couple of overseas tours under his belt.

He was planning on completing his education and was in school.

What was this person that had spent two tours overseas killing people and breaking things studying in college?

Public relations.

When he told me that I almost snarfed coffee through my nose.

"Al Capone was right," said the future public relations man. "You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."

When I asked him if his professor agreed, he smiled. "My professor has never gotten someone to do something at gunpoint, I have. It works."

I shook my head and thought about it.

Al Capone was right.

"You'll never get away with that in legitimate American business," I said.

"I was thinking of commissioning in Army Public Affairs," replied the soldier.

I guess that's one way of mixing two different skills.


my other blog is:

http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment