Friday, October 23, 2020

Covid. Plan one.

Early on I realized that simply by traveling for work, getting food and stuff that I was probably going to be exposed to Covid 19 in one form or another. It's bound to happen.

While a lot of people were running around in panic I decided to take a different approach. I gathered all the scant information I could find and sifted through it. Age seemed to put me at high risk as did that I was a long time former smoker. 

I looked at the other side of things. Covid is a flu and I have a history of not getting it. I have not had the flu in over 20 years. However the last time it knocked me for a loop for a couple of days. Still, for some reason the flu is a rare illness for me. This is a plus.

Recently I see where blood type enters the equation and mine seems to be at the top of the list. (Back when I was in the service Doc made note of my type in case someone needed a pint.)

I also have read where the long term homeless have developed some serious antibody systems. That actually made sense if you stop and think about it. The homeless live in total crud. When you live under a bridge in a pup tent and have no running water you tend to live differently.

A person that moves his bowels in the open about 15 feet from his living quarters, wipes himself with his hand and wipes his hand off with an old rag he found in a gutter and then goes and grabs a nasty skillet and cooks questionable chicken for lunch in it has three choices.

He either gets sick as hell, he outright dies or his immune system goes into high gear. Often the latter occurs after an extended period of just plain being sick all the time. His body adjusts and he's likely to be healthy as an ox.

This holds true for a lot of long term homeless shelter dwellers. They sleep in open squad bays full people coughing and sneezing all night but it seems the long term people seldom get sick. 

Missionaries that have lived in the jungle have experienced the same thing. For the first few months they are sick as dogs and they either live or die. If they live they are healthy as the day is long.

So how does this effect my Covid strategy?

I'm realizing that I am very likely to eventually be exposed to it and I am going to do my best to keep my antibodies up and if/when I am exposed to it I'm hoping to rely on Mother Nature to fend it off. Or at least minimize the effects.

I have started taking vitamins C and D daily along with an elderberry and zinc supplement. These are pretty good for the immune system

I also don't over sanitize everything, either. After I cook the counter gets wiped unless I have cut up a chicken on it. If I do it gets wiped and I hit it again with a little bleach water because chicken can get nasty. I just do basic, simple cleaning. I don't want things too clean.

When  leave the house I do clean my hands often and when I return before I enter the house. When I'm home, either in or outside I wash my hands after using the toilet and before cooking but not much more than that and especially not after working outside. I want my antibody system to ramp up and stay there. Organic dirt is pretty good for the immune system.

It's part of a plan.

Of course, even though it is of questionable value, I mask up religiously if I am shopping or near people. It doesn't hurt and may have some value. It also keeps the Karens off of my ass. These are the idiots that truly believe that their daisy print masks are going to save the world and I am tired of saying ''Tell it to my parole officer." to them when they say something when I am a block away.

I also sanitize shopping carts and minimize touching handles. 

It's probably not a perfect plan but it's a reasonably well thought out plan based on basic logic, an examination of my strengths and weaknesses. It's certainly not foolproof but it's a whole lot better than panicking and running around like a germophobe. It's an attempt to use the run of the mill germs out there to keep my resistance up.

It makes more sense to me than the Karens running around scrubbing their kids with bleach every five minutes and lowering their resistnce. They try and create a sterile enviornment and when they leave the house and pick something up.

It seems almost every germophobe I know is always catching colds and getting every brand of flu that passes through.

Anyway that's the plan. While I do try my best to avoid the disease I also think it's likely I'm going to be exposed so I
 figure that beefing up the immune system is a good idea.

It's certainly not a foolproof plan but it's a reasonably well thought out plan and is a damned sight better than none. It's also one hell of a lot better plan than most suburban women can come up with because a lot of them don't have a brain in their head.
















To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment