Tuesday, December 20, 2022

On 2 January switchblade knives are legal in Pennsylvania.

Which means I'll probably stop carrying one and get a real letter opener.

I have a nice one, West Side Story edition. It's a Jet's model, Tony approved.

Actually I have an entire collection of them that I have picked up over the years. They're really kind of archaic because the current pocket knives have various ways of opening as fast or more likely faster than an Old School switchblade with the various 'flick knobs', finger holes and whatever. The legal 'workarounds' are fast opening and have fewer mechanical parts to deal with. They're a lot simpler and if I was a first responder I would carry one of these.

When you think about it, an Old School switchblace is a fairly complex piece of machinery. It has buttons, springs, locks and is a mechanical contrivance and as a result is not as reliable and something simpler.

In fact I guess I'll stop collecting them because half the fun was that having them was illegal. It was a stupid law to begin with and I generally ignore stupid.

I might sell off most of my collection but keep one or two because I have used them for decades to open letters with.


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment