Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Well, the front door is basically up and in place. I have to do a little more shimming. It was a day of interruptions. It would have been complete if I had simply been left alone. 

The old jamb came out in pieces and that took time. 

My brother-in-law needed a hand and that took time out of the day but it was a good deal because he fixed the counter top. A face piece of formica came off over the dishwasher. 

He originally built the counter top well over 25 years ago and when you consider that it took a 25+ year beating from the dishwasher under the facing section it speaks volumes for his craftsmanship. It still looks new.

I have a door to be hung in the kitchen, also but the door I want is not in stock. It's a 30 inch door and my guess is that 30 inch exterior doors are no longer the norm these days probably because we have gotten fatter.

I'll be damned if I am going to tear out brickwork, sheetrock, and reframe the entire door hole just to add a crummy two inches to the kitchen door just so later on Fat Emily can move in here and squeeze his/her lard ass out the back way. He/she will just have to walk through the front 36 inch door to get to the back yard.

One of the things that people sometimes forget are the three things that sell houses, lacation, location and location. You can find good, solid homes out there for under $5000 if you know where to look. Of course you don't really want to live there, but homes are available for a song. OTOH, there are places where a couple of million bucks won't get you an unheated skid shack. 

(Being the pest I am I would just love to move into a skid shack next to someone like Babs Streisand or Cher just to listen to them piss, moan and bellyache. Maybe decorate with a junk pickup, pink flamingos and, of course, the obligatory inside-out tire flower with 18 coats of cracked white paint on it)

I don't think we will have any problems reselling the place with a 30 inch kitchen door. 

Back to where I started. The new front door has already changed things heat wise even though I have not stuffed fiberglass itchulation between the jamb and the trimmers. I would love to remove the plywood covering the front and will do so simply for morale purposes.












To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment