Monday, October 30, 2023

Another day.

A friend of mine went back to school for a couple of courses. He's in his late 60s and has changed careers which makes sense if you know the guy.

Anyway, he asked me to write down things that effect older people and I sent him a few. Health for me is not an issue because the Doc is pretty good about letting me know what to expect as I age.

The thing on the list that he said was the most important that I mentioned was current technology. He's been running a flip phone since Day One and I have a smart phone which doesn't mean a lot.

I've figured out enough about the smart phone to get it to do what I want it to and that's about it. Of course I was the same way with my VCR back in the day and I'm the same way with my ham rig. I can do sideband and CW on it and that's all I need. I don't care for digital.

Still, the amount of technology out there increases daily and it's sometimes confusing to a lot of the elderly. 

I'm aware of all the scams out there and I refuse to bank on line just for that reason. One slip and I could take a damned hard hit.

When a banker tried to push me into on line banking I told her the ONLY reason I use her bank is because they don't pressure me to do on line banking and she started to say something but clammed up about it fast when I gave her 'the look'. She figured out that maybe she didn't want to have to explain to the branch manager why some old man withdrew six figures and said he was taking it to someplace that wouldn't hassle him.

I'm not too bad but it's really rough on a lot of older people. 

As for my friend he's figured out how to do things most people think they need an need an app for. Getting an Uber or Lyft comes to mind. He has a number that will get him either one of them and he has set up his account on line. Works for him and I considered making the switch myself.

Everyone and their cousin is always telling me to 'get the app' and I figure if I got everyone's dopey little app I'd fill up the entire drive of my cell phone inside a couple of weeks. What do I need the app for some dopey little convenience store I stopped at while in South Dakota when I was just passing through? I might as well download the app for the Mount Everest Expedition Supply Store in Nepal for all the good it will do me.

As of now I have most of my marbles and as they begin to trickle out of my skull it's going to get harder and harder for me to deal with things.











To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment