Monday, October 23, 2023

I wonder that happened to the captain of the USS Texas that flooded some compartments to give his ship a list


to be able to raise his guns a two degrees more so as to be able to get more range out of his guns when he was bombarding the shore a few days afer D-day.

I suppose he was respected for his improvise, adapt, overcome attitude. Get it done!

I suppose he did have legal ground to stand on because his orders were pretty clear. He was given a target and orders to destroy it.

They didn't say how or give him any limits so I suppose he could have squirmed out of a courts martial that way.

Still, that's pretty cool.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One time I pumped a barge off unevenly to keep the Chicksan (steel  'hose' used to transfer cargo) because the Chicksan would have hit the overhead steel bar used to attach hoses to the manifolds. Once the barge came up enough I evened things out and continued normal operations.

I was a newbie and I guess the list got the attention of the captain when he got up to pee.

He came charging out and when I explained what was going on he grinned and complimented me for showing initiative instead of shutting down and waiting for the tide to come in. He also said we should keep quiet about it because the office would over react as the often did.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment