Monday, October 23, 2023

Yesterday's cooking extravaganza.

Or the Great American Chop Suey overload.

I have not had it since I left high school and about 40 years ago I got the recipe from a woman that worked in the school cafeteria and she said her recipe was reduced to family size.

I tried making it from memory and actually did a pretty good job of remembering the recipe and making it. 

One problem.

I should have cut the recipe in half because I forgot that she said she would freeze half of it which makes sense. However in regards to her idea of family size, afterwards I thought it over and remembered she had 11 kids to feed.

That's a lot of American chop suey! It filled a 12 quart stock pot to damned near overflowing! I felt like the guy that brought home a brontosaurus home and realized it was going to be brontosaurus stew, bronto chili, bronto pot pie,r oast bronto, baked bronto, fried bronto, bronto spaghetti sauce for the next twenty years. 

I gave some to a neighbor who was amused at my plight and then instantly called a friend over for dinner. I told him to bring his appetite. He did.

He took one bite his face lit up and he replied "Goulash! I love it! I ate it as a kid and you nailed this batch."

I'm going to freeze most of it today because it should make pretty good bunch of quick, good tasting meals for the next ten years. 

I do that when I make a big pot of chili and freeze it in one of those sandwich containers which is the perfect size for a single serving.

==============================



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment