Tuesday, August 6, 2024

It just occurred to me that I have seen the centennial of three major wars.

and God only knows how many smaller ones.

The Civil War bicentennial ended in 1865, The Spanish American War ended in 1898 and WW1 ended in 1918.

The last of the Civil War veterans died in 1956, the last Spanish American War veteran died in 1992 and the last WW1 veteran died in 2011.

The median age of WW2 veterans now is 99 and there are still a few up and about.

While I never met a Civil War veteran, I have met a couple Spanish American war veterans and any number of WW1 veterans. I used to eat lunch with a WW1 veteran a couple times a week back in the early 70s. 

It's interesting how time flies. 

As for my generation, the Vietnam generation, there are supposedly as of 2020 6.3 million out of 8.75 million of us still around but the figures I have chased seem to be arguable.  The youngest would be about 67 but most of us are in our 70s and 80s. The centennial of that one won't be until 2063, depending on how you figure it.

I doubt I will live long enough to see the passing of the last WW2 veteran, though because there are always a few people that manage to live forever and a day. I'm sure that one or two will even outlive Keith Richards.

It just occurred to me that if someone was born on 9-11-2021 they would becoming 23 years old next month.

Interesting on how time flies.









To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment