Sunday, August 11, 2024

The water drew all sorts of interesting people.

My first tour I sailed with another deckhand that had recently quit a Fortune 500 company. He was in his early 40s and told me once, "I grabbed my nest egg and decided to do what I really wanted to do and work on a tugboat." 

He was a great shipmate and on top of that he was quite entertaining.

A couple of tours later he left for a job as a deckhand with a better company to work for. (I stayed and when I retired found out it was worth it because I wound up with a small pension.)

I have worked with people of every educational level and in fact it really never made a difference as far as the work went. I have seen a King's Pointer get busted from captain to mate and replaced by a guy that might have had a GED, if that. I have seen the opposite happen, too. 

In the tugboat world the ability to handle a boat is what matters and you don't learn that in the classroom. 

We just like working on the water for whatever reason.

The last guy I worked with had a master's degree in Constitutional Law from an Ivy league school.

It was an interesting career.



 



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

1 comment:

  1. I had similar occurrences working in construction. Jobs like these are truly not DEI positions. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete