Saturday, August 24, 2024

Lately I have had my memory jogged and I remember the day I stood my ground in high school.



Since the fire, my yearbook has shown up missing and I wish I had it to jog my memory because I don't recall the teacher that started this stupidity. All I can remember is a greyish nondescript suit.

Anyway, someone threw a penny (It sounded like one) during class and he went off like a skyrocket and demanded the culprit confess. Nothing happened. Then he demanded someone rat the culprit out. I doubt anyone knew. I wish I did. I would have kept quiet.

Then he announced that the following afternoon the entire class had detention. I was pi$$ed.

I went home and told Dad about it and said, "I'm not going to be treated that way. They talk about fair and so on but it's not fair punishing people that don't even know who did what."

"Let me sleep on this," Dad said.

The next morning before school Dad said, "I slept on it. You're right. It's patently wrong and you should not let them treat you like that. Be polite, keep your temper and don't let him bait you into getting mad. Just stand your ground. Keep me posted. I've got you covered on this one, Kiddo."

He turned to Mom and said, "Get the typewriter out of the closet. We might have to write a letter to the Mirror." The Mirror was our small town paper. "I'll call Franklin from work."

When he said he'd call Franklin I knew the balloon had gone up. Franklin was an old classmate of his that had gone into law. He was not our family attorney. He was an encyclopedia of who was who in law and would recommend someone to Dad.

Anyway, I went to school knowing that this lone soldier had some serious artillery backup.

Right after lunch I went into the vice principal's office. I didn't knock, the door was open and I walked in. I was as nervous as a whore in church.

"I got a blanket detention from (I wish I remember from who) and I'm not guilty as charged and I'm not going to go to it. For one thing it's probably unconstitutional."

"You believe that?" he asked.

"If you don't than why is passing 'Problems in Democracy' required for graduation?"

His eyes popped wide open. I was challenging him.

I guess he was unaware of what the teacher did and asked me for details which I furnished. He snapped that if I didn't show up I'd get five detentions.

"I wont go to those either," I replied.  

"Then I'll suspend you and you'll have ten to serve when you get off of suspension." he said.

"And I refuse to stay for those, either," I answered. "I'm going to go the whole mile on this one."

He not only doubled down, he tripled down.

"What are you going to tell your parents when you are expelled?" he asked, in a VERY pointed way, totally exuding confidence. He thought he had won then and there. The threat I will expel you was implied. 

"They fully expect me to get expelled," I replied. "Now what are YOU going to tell the school committee after my mother writes a letter to the editor of the Mirror and how are you going to explain the ensuing lawsuit?" I looked at my watch. "My father's probably already called an old friend for legal advice."

He deflated and gave me some mealy-mouthed bull$hit about how since he knew I was uninvolved I could skip the detention and go home.

I quit while I was ahead and simply walked out. I didn't gloat. I simply took my victory and took my leave. I knew better than  to corner him. 

After classes I simply went home quietly.

I went home and told my mother I had won. I saw her relax. She said "Thank God!"

When Dad got home I met him in the driveway. "I won!" 

He grinned and said, "I figured you would. You had a good cause."

"What did Franklin recommend?" I asked.

"I never bothered to call him," he replied. "I figured that if you didn't lose your temper you'd come out smelling like a rose. After you left for school I told your mother to leave the typewriter in the closet. All you needed was confidence!"

After supper my dad walked out and drove off. I was curious and said nothing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Six years later. Ft Carson, Colorado. I was battery armorer and had run things past the he Battery Commander over the issuance of weapons. I had told him I was going strictly by the TO&E. There was a problem with 7 each 1911A1 pistols. I had seven. One was supposed to be issued to the BnCO, the other to the BC. Four were for medics and one for the redeye gunner. I explained the battalion officers tried to cheat the proper people out of the pistols because they didn't want to lug around a rifle. The BC told me to stand by and a couple days later said, "Go by the book."

I think he had run it by the BnCo but I don't know for sure.

A newly assigned major came up and demanded a .45. I handed him and M-16 and he got pissed and tried to throw his authority at me and get one of my 1911A1s. When I refused he threatened to 'give me an Article 15 for disobeying a lawful order."

"First of all, Major, You can't give me an Article 15. You don't have the authority. You have to go to my BC (a captain)to file charges. If he likes you he will politely throw you out of his office. If he doesn't like you he will give me an Article 15 to sign. I will demand my right to trial by courts-martial and request Captain Davis, the S-1 to defend me. I don't even like Captain Davis because he is a nit picking son of a bitch but I know I want him to defend me for that very reason.  He's a picky by the rules attack dog. You will lose and look very stupid and never get promoted."  

He quietly took an M-16 like everyone else.

=================================

More aftermath. About 20 years later. Vancouver, BC. on board my sailboat.

"Do you remember the time I battled the vice principal in high school?" I asked my mother. She rolled her eyes.

"I certainly do," she replied. "I was afraid you'd get kicked out of school!"

"Where did Dad go after supper?" I asked.

She laughed. "Probably straight to St. Christine's to make another Novena. He made a lot of them when you were growing up! Either that or to the Grog Shop. I didn't ask." 

An hour later she had thought about it and said after he made a Novena he probably went straight to the Grog Shop for a double.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I made my career by playing by the rules. 

Once you learn the rules you start walking on very solid ground.

To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment