Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Morning. Where are the deer today?

as you know, I'm and old man and ...BINGO! A buck in velvet just appeared! 

It's 0600 local time and daybreak and the deer usually show up about this time. I look carefully at their coats and this one is a light tan...now a couple of does showed up, again light tan.

I watch their coats because they generally predict what the winter will be like. They will stay light tan until fall and I start looking for white to appear because if there's a lot of white we'll likely have a snowy winter. Last season their fall/winter coats had a lot of black and we had a very mild winter.

Now a doe is eating my lilac bush and that's fine by me. 

Whoops! Here comes a fawn, still heavily spotted.

While I love eating them, I just don't have the heart to shoot them anymore. 

---------------------------------------------------

I thought they left but I guess they wandered out onto the front lawn because I just went out the front door for some air and they scattered. This year they are skittish around me for some reason.

A few years ago they'd ignore me and I could get to about four feet of them and they'd just back off slowly. They were not afraid of me.

Oh, well.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

3 comments:

  1. The deer are getting out of hand. Cute as they might be, the past four hunting seasons have had low participation, and so the doe population has exploded. Farmers around the area are having entire fields picked clean by deer.

    The game commission needs to totally remove restrictions and bag limits on antlerless for a season, so we can try to get back in front of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coupled with mild winters they have exploded.
    It provides me with endless entertainment listening to people that want them gone but don't want to allow archery hunters to be in their neighborhood.
    People are always looking for 'wand wavers' that wave a magic wand and their problems disappear.
    Still, in my neighborhood they do no real harm and I enjoy watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the NIMBY crowd has an opinion on everything.

    ReplyDelete