Monday, November 14, 2011

Until next payday my name is Louise.

Every so often something happens that lets me know that all hope is not lost, and generally it comes completely out of nowhere and hits me like a baseball bat.

I was leaving Wally World and decided that I would snag a cup of joe and a burger so I went into McDuck's. The clerk taking orders was a very young girl and she looked like it was her first day in the work force which, of course, brings out a evil side of me. I figured I'd throw her a curve or two. With any luck at all I would have her so confused she'd have to call a manager to straighten things out.

Orders were running a couple of minutes behind, I noticed and when I got to the head of the line she took my order and asked me my name. I noticed she was writing first names on the reciepts of the orders that had not been filled yet.

"I don't have one," I said, embarrassed.

"What?" sha asked, "You don't have a name?"

"Nope. Don't have one." I replied.

"Why not?" she asked.

"Lost it last night in a poker game. Some high roller from Vegas cleaned us out last night and I had to go home without any clothes and he even took my name." I replied.

"Are you working?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"OK," she replied. "Then you can use my middle name until payday. It's Louise."

I knew right here that I probably could have raised hell about not wanting a girl's name or something and really laid it on until I crushed her, but there was no way in hell I was going to do such a thing on general principles. This is the spirit that I like so much to see in people.

Improvise! Overcome! Adapt! It's just anoter bump in the road, ain't nothin' to it. She had just displayed the kind of creativity I love to see in people and displayed one of the best examples of 'make it work' spirit that I have seen in quite some time.

The man needs to borrow a name for a while? No problem. I'll loan him one. Cool!"

Then she took my money, rang it up and with no second look or anything wrote 'Louise' on the reciept.

The guy behind me seemed amused and looked at me and chuckled. I looked at him.

"Some girl would giggle and I'd get red, some guy would laugh...." I sang. It was part of an old Johnny Cash tune. The guy chuckled. He obviously knew all the words.

"Now you're going to have to ride from town to town to hide your shame!" he chuckled.

My order came up in a minute or so, the little girl took the reciept and the order.

"Louise," she called out.

I walked up and took my order, thanked her and promised to give her back her middle name come payday and she smiled. "See you then," she said and I left.

Betcha that cute little girl is going places.








my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment