Thursday, October 31, 2013

Parents worst fears.

Yesterday was a day of travel and I got a fairly early start. I didn't even get enough time to take care of internal business before I hit the road.

I was literally sitting on the john at the Sidling Hill rest plaza on I-76 when I heard a conversation that interested me.

"Going to let you kids go trick or treating?" asked one guy to the other.

"Yeah, sure," answered the other.

"Aren't you afraid of some sickie tampering with the kids candy?" the first guy asked.

"My wife asked me about that so I Googled the hell out of it. Believe it or not there are only two confirmed cases of that happening and both of them took place in the '70s" said the second.

That doesn't surprise me very much.

While I didn't search around to see if he was correct, I believe it.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other rumors going through suburbia that have made the rounds and keep returning.

I suppose that after every Halloween the rumor gets restarted after some parent finds a candy bar with a factory torn wrapper on it or some other damned thing and freaks out and calls the police.

The police report it as s suspected case and rumor control confirms it and the paranoia starts back up again. 

My favorite all time rumor was the "Jeeps for $50. They come in a big wooden case and you have to put them together yourself" rumor that has lasted since late 1945. It still pops up from time to time.

I suppose the rumor of poisoning kids candy is one of those things that has kept parents scared spitless for the past 40 years, but I have to give credit to the guy I overheard in the men's room.

He got off of his ass and researched it and found out the truth.









To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

No comments:

Post a Comment