Monday, September 20, 2010

Another day goes on and I am closer to going home

which is a good deal.

I have a lot to do when I get home, thanks to some damned fool that plowed into me when I was up in Massachusetts.

I have to get the truck fixed and I doubt that the body shop will be able to do it inside of the time I have off. This means I have to drive the damned Miata to work and that is a very long haul for the little car.

I will be as sore as all hell when I arrive at work and I will also be damned sore when I arrive home after the tour. Then again, when I get off it will be sometime in mid October, when the ait in Pennsylvania is clear and crisp and I will have an enjoyable ride home through the mountains, so I suppose all is not lost. I'll take my time going home and make several stops.

There is a bed and breakfast along the route and it might be a pretty good place to stop off at because the tavern there serves a pretty good buffalo burger and if there is any meat I like better than buffalo, I do not know what it is.

ALso at home there are a couple of rooms to paint and I intend to knock those out most riki-tik. Last winter there was some ice dam damage and the living room ceiling got heavily water damaged. I've repaired it, but it needs a couple of coats of paint.

There are also a couple of books for me to read evenings and there is also a fresh, unopened bottle of Laphroaig single malt waiting for me to give the taste test to.

I guess I will be pretty busy as far as things go when I get home.

It's sure been a quiet summer here at work and summer was sort of depressing after the initial rush of getting a new roof on the house. The depressing part is that I did not get my annuals planted because there wass discussion regarding the planting of perrenials and that got put off one day at a time. Next year I'm planting marigolds and petunias and the hell with what plans anyone else has.

I also have to get glasses which is no really big deal, except that I an hoping I do not need a new prescription because procrastination has kept me from going and I wonder if the script is outdated. Probably. We'll see.

I used to have a lot of free time, but that was then and now things are there to do and there is a winter to get ready for and if this winter is even nearly half as bad as ast winter, then I am in for a lot of work.

I swear, if I won the lottery or something I would have 2 homes, one of which would be somewhere waarm. I hate winters with a passion, which is a change. I used to love winter.

One thing, though, we need a winter trip up the Hudson River after it ices up to scrape the barnacles off the hull of this slab. The Gulf of Mexico has really fouled the bottom.

As soon as deer season opens I have to see if I can get one of the guys to snag me a good sized chunk of venison to feed me over the winter. Although I eat a lot of fish, I do need some serious red meat every so often and although beef satisfies, it is nowhere near as good for the system as venison.

Although when deer season comes around I am apt to go out a couple of times, the chances of me getting a deer are pretty slim as I have not yet been able to get one to jump into the bed of my pickup and let me shoot it and I am getting too old(or maybe smart) to shoot one and have to drag it five miles to my truck. Also the pickup I own doesn't have a rifle rest built in to the driver's side window, either.

Nope, I guess I'm going to have to get one of the young guys to fix me up with a hindquarter or maybe, if I get lucky, a backstrap or two.

I screwed up this last summer and forgot to buy a snow blower and now the prices on Craigslist are going up and up. I was hoping to snag a fairly new 110 volt electric start for cheap, but it's now too late. All I can do is pray we don't get hit hard again this winter.

All in all, I am going to be pretty busy for a while.



my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment